Pass :- ( 51 km. ) At an altitude of
3,978 metres on the highway to Keylong, the mass
affords a wide-spread panorama of mountain
scenery. Here eye meets a range of precipitous
cliffs, huge glaciers and piled moraine and deep
ravines. To the opposite is the well defined 'Sonepani
Glacier' slightly to the left are the twin peaks
of the Geyphang snow crowned. The Beas river
rises near the crest of Rohtang from a block of
Mica-Schist. To its left, 200 metres higher, is
the little lake of 'Sarkund' ( Dashahr ) visited
by a large number of people every year. The bath
in the water of Sarkund lake effects cure of all
bodily ailments or imaginary. The pass is open
from June to October each year although trekkers
can cross it earlier. It is the gateway to
Lahaul-Spiti, Pangi and Leh valley.
:- ( 39 km. ) A barren landscape
offering extensive views of the valley and the
mountains. 15 km. short of the 13,050 feet high
Rohatang Pass on the Manali-Leh road lies one of
the most picturesque places in Manali region.
Marhi - a mountain plateau surrounded by lush
green meadows strewn with myriad wild flowers.
The place remains a stopover for transit
visitors and tourists during summer and autumn
seasons and a transit place for the people to
wait for the ferocious weather to improve at
Rohtang Pass to cross over to Lahaul and Spiti
valley, during the winter months.
Falls :-16 kms. on way to Rohtang
pass. If one goes to Marhi on foot from Kothi
from the old road, the sight of the falls is
fascinating. It is a good picnic spot as well.
:- ( 12 km. ) A beautiful and quiet
spot. The rest house here overlooks the narrow
valley and commands views at the mountains.
Below Kothi, for more than a km. the river Beas
flows through a deep gorge, 30 metres or more in
depth. The site of the bridge provides an
interesting historical episode in early annals
of Kullu. This place is famous for movie
picturisation and resting resort for poets,
writers and lovers of peaceful environments.
Solang Valley :- ( 13 km. ) A
beautiful valley between Manali and Kothi which
offers views of the glaciers and snow covered
mountain peaks. The plateau is frequently used
for holding camps by the trekking parties. The
surrounding areas of Manali from 3 to 20 km. are
suitable for rock climbing. The winter skiing
festival is organised here as well as training
in skiing is imparted at this place.
Vashisht :- ( 3 km. ) This place is
famous for its hot water springs and temples of
Vashisht Rishi and Lord Rama. It is located on
the bank of Beas, but well above the river.
Natural hot sulphur springs with two separate
bathing tanks for gents and ladies are always
full of tourists. Turkish style showers fitted
baths have also been built nearby. Hot water
from the nearby spring is provided for bathing. Club
House :- 2 kms. from the town, club
house has indoor games facilities which has been
located on the left bank of Manalsu Nallah.
There are some picnic spots near it.
Hidimba Devi Temple :- ( 1.5 km. )
Built in 1553 A.D. also known as 'Doongri
Temple' dedicated to the Goddess Hidimba ( Hirma
Devi ), the wife of Bhima, has a four tiered
pagoda shaped roof with a doorway carved with
figures and symbols. Although carving is simple
yet beautiful. This temple was built by Raja
Bahadur Singh of Kullu.
Jagatsukh :- ( 6 km. ) The original
name of this was 'Nast', it remained the ancient
capital of Kullu for about 10 generations. Jagatsukh is famous for its Shiva temple in
Shikhara Style and interesting old temple of 'Gayatri
Devi' and Devi Sharvali. Arjun
Gufa :- ( 15 km. ) A legendary cave
near the village of 'Prini' on the left bank
where Arjuna practised austerities to get the
powerful 'Pashupati astra' ( weapon ).
(Nagar) interesting castle sits high above
Katrain. With a pleasant, unhurried atmosphere,
it is good place to stop a while. It is also an
entry for treks to Malana.Sights The castle
(early 126 century) withstood the earthquake of
1905 and is a fine example of timber-bonded
building of Western Himalayas. Probably build by
Raja Sidh Singh, it was used as a royal
residence and state headquarters until t he 17
century when the capital was transferred to
Sultanpur (Kullu). It continues as a summer
place until the British arrived In 1846, when it
was sold to Major Hay, the first Assistant
Commissioner who Europeanized part of it,
fitting staircases, fireplaces et cetera. This
quaint castle/fort is built around a courtyard